Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pac-Man? Paaaaaac-Maaaaaan!!!!

I like Pac-Man… a lot actually. It’s one of my favorite classic arcade games that I love to get my hands on whenever I have the chance to. Besides a few other acrade games, I used to spend my quarters on Ms. Pac-Man games whenever my parents would go do their usual bowling games on Sundays. I’m fairly confident that I don’t need to explain to viewers what exactly Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man are about. If you don’t know the game by now, you’re a hopeless individual… I mean, today’s freshmen believed that Kurt Cobain has been dead for many, many years… That’s sad.

I recently got my hands on the Championship edition for the PlaystationPlus that my boyfriend downloaded the other day. As soon as I began playing it, I was like, “I seriously need to get this game… like right now.” So I did. It’s downloading as I type this. It’s a completely different style of playing, but it’s the same game… However, a few things are different. So, you have a larger field, and you have to complete one side of the field in order to complete the other side as well. You advance to the next puzzle-like in the field by collecting the fruit… other times it’s clovers, hearts, diamonds… Pac-Man can really eat basically anything his stomach desires… That is if he has a stomach.

There’s also different styles of playing the level, such as a time attack mode where you have to complete a series of puzzles in under a minute. Ghost Combo where you’re trying to see how many ghosts you can eat within a certain time limit.

Speaking about these ghosts, there’s a reason why I made a Metal Gear Solid reference in my title. These are not your ordinary ghosts. There are ghosts planted in the field that are sleeping, you also have the ordinary pink, blue, red, and orange ghosts chasing you around. But the sleeping ghosts are different. These guys stay sleeping unless you pass them. If you just pass them the first time, the first ghost that awakes starts chasing you and will not stop chasing you unless you get the power-up. However, if you pass more sleeping ghosts, they will awake and join in the line of ghosts that are following you. The more ghosts you awake, the more that gets added to the chain of ghosts. Which is really funny because if you get a power-up, hellow 3200 consecutive points per each ghost to eat after you reach that amount in the score. I thought that this was hysterical because I’m racking points up like crazy.

What is also interesting to note is what happens when you get near a ghost. You see, you can pass a ghost quite easily while they’re sleeping. But when you get to a ghost that’s up and chasing you, get close to them, and some matrix-like scene happens where you’re slowling inching closer to them unless you make some last-second chance move to avoid getting killed. I like that feature, because it totally helps.

You also have bombs that you carry throughout the levels. These bombs help bounce back the ghosts back into the box for a mere second if you come across a point where there’s no way of getting out without losing a life. However, this does effect your game. During a certain point of the game, your speed increases. If you lose a life or use a bomb, your speed decreases. So, there’s a good reason to use the bomb, and then there’s a bad reason to use your bomb. You can only reach up to speed 50, and despite it being a very fast speed, it’s still manageable.

I’d say if you have PlaystationPlus, download this game. It’s really, REALLY worth the download.

>’-‘<

No comments:

Post a Comment