Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Nightmares Of Playing Scary Games

This great first-person shooter was and still is a classic game in my books that's called Doom. I think this was probably the first game that ever brought me nightmares in my sleep. I was four when I first played this game and I still have a kick at it every now and then when I get the chance. If I can't get my hands on it, I'll just watch some walkthroughs on Youtube or something just to make me remember all the fun times I had with the game.

I still remember codes such as IDDQD, IDKFA, and IDSPISPOPD. Three codes that I often used at times when I felt like playing the game in a cheating manner... which was basically all of the time.

The one thing that scared me more than anything else in this game, and you're probably going to laugh a bit, was the status bar face. This guy's face used to freak the hell out of me because of the one face he makes that's kind of a hard one to pull off. It's called the "Ouch Face." And what this face looks like is this:

What you have to do is you have to get hurt pretty badly and then immediately run into a health pack that restores twice as much as the health you lost. It's kind of like "how did I survive this moment?"

Or, an easier way is to shoot a rocket at a wall and grab the blue sphere right after... or put in the God mode cheat.

His face gets even creepier when there's blood covering him and he makes this face as well. I used to have nightmares over this guy's face because it scared the crap out of me and quite frankly, I never understood why it did. I used to look back and asked myself why did this face scare me. Why is it that this only time in my gaming life did this one face scare me the most rather than the demons that I fought. I mean, even John Romero's face scared me when I put in the No Clips mode and walked through the wall. It freaked me out, but not as much as this face.

Maybe it's the randomness timing of it appearing that freaked me out. I mean look at it, even while I'm typing, does this face somewhat gives me a bit of fright, and I'm in my twenties...

I will say though, just becuase this face used to scare me, it did not make me run out of the room... No, one thing did during a game over sequence that made me running out of the room in fear. I was clearly terrified of going back to the TV and turning of my system due to this moment, and what made things worse was that I was home alone, so it sucked twice as hard to find the courage to go back and shut off my system.

When you're playing Tesshu in Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven and you die, his game over sequence is a lot scarier than Ayame's and Rikimaru's. Rikimaru's game over screen is some dark forest with leaves flying and Ayame's game over screen is a moon with flying flower petals blowing all over the place. Tesshu's... is a lot different. His is where you see his decapitated head sitting on a fence making the same exact face as the Doom guy's face, except his eyes are rolled up, and it zooms out with some random poem that states that he can no longer see the sun rise. This screen used to terrify me when I played this game, I believe I stopped playing the game after I saw that screen and sold it for another, and still to this day, I cower a bit when I see that face. I just thought that screen was the scariest thing I've seen in video games.

But, Dr. Salvador still scares me when I hear him coming.

>'-'<

No comments:

Post a Comment