Friday, June 1, 2012

Perfect Questions for Perfect Dark

    Perfect Dark and Goldeneye helped defy first-person shooter games during the late 90s. Goldeneye made it fun first with the countless of different weapons, characters and levels for multiplayer, Perfect Dark doubled that. What’s interesting about Perfect Dark’s multiplayer in general was it’s amazing ability to add computer AI to fight against if you’re not playing with anyone. You can spend nearly hours just fighting against random scenarios in multiplayer whether it’s challenges or modes that you designed by yourself. But there’s always been a few questions I’ve asked myself while playing against these characters...

    I LOVE the proximity mines, especially in the level Villa. I know where to place them where enemies fly through the most, and I usually get up to eight kills just planting a mine in a particular area with the staircases. Yes, I am evil like that, but no one said anything about playing fair with the proximity mines. But here comes my question... Why  do the AI not use these mines? They’re comfortable throwing the timed mines as well as the remote mines. Granted that they don’t use the secondary function with the remote mines, they still throw them. But why not the proximity mines? I’ve never once seen any AI throw them at me or other enemies or just at randomness.

    Something else with the proximity mines is how they never get collected. I also have them be used in the sixth slot of the custom weapons list. Whenever I’m playing in the Villa or the Facility, it’s noticeable how these guys avoid the areas where this weapon is located at... But yet, they’re being collected still, and I guess I’m to thank for since I’m normally running around the area, trying to avoid being bombarded with bullets by both Dark sims and Kaze Sims

    Another thing is, how come these guys weren’t really programmed to use the secondary function? Well... despite that I’ve seen an AI pistol whip against another enemy, because he was holding a gun and yes he was a KazeSim fighting against another KazeSim, still. Why don’t they use the secondary function? But, there’s another weird thing to bring into this question... they DO know how to use the secondary function... just with certain kinds of weapons.

    The Super Dragon has a grenade launcher for its secondary function, and sometimes the simulants will use that against other enemies. The Pheonix has explosive shells for its secondary function, and the simulants will use that against other enemies. The Crossbow has a one-hit kill dart for its secondary function, and the sims LOVE using that function. (I hate that) The Combat Knife has a poisonous knife that you throw for its secondary function. Just seeing straight arms lifted in midair, aiming their knife at me and throwing without moving their arms is just a laughing scene. It’s cute. And the RC-P120 has a cloak ability that they ALWAYS use. The Slayer, which has a Fly-Bye-Wire Rocket and they do use that... Especially when you have to come across them in a challenge every so often. And last but not least, the Unarmed weapon... your fists... They normally disarm you when you’re the one that has a weapon and not them. but they also hurt you as well... Which isn’t right because when I use the disarm function, I don’t give out damage. Maybe they just change it immediately after they knock your gun out of the hand... Although I seriously hate it when a KazeSim pins me down and NEVER STOPS PUNCHING ME... (Grr)

    Here’s a list of guns that they DON’T even bother use the secondary function, I’m also counting the ones I hardly see but I know that they kind do:

All three Falcons
Laptop Gun
AR34 - Despite that it really doesn’t have a secondary function
DY357
DY357-LX (The Golden Revolver)
Shotgun
K7 Avenger - Despite that it doesn’t really have a secondary function
Dragon
Rocket Launcher
Devastator
FarSight XR-20
Mauler
Reaper
MagSec 4
Cyclone
Sniper Rifle
Tranquilizer - Despite that it HAS a one-hit kill function
Grenade
Remote Mine
N-Bomb


    I get it, this was brand new at the time and in full development, but I never really quite understood how these critters just don’t do these things. You’d expect Dark Sim, the toughest sim right next to Kaze sim in a round with nothing but assault rifles, to actually do something different. But the only thing that’s amazing about them is their perfect ability to hit you, even when running past.

    Speaking about these Kaze sims, I’m amazed at how crazy they can really be. I mean, they fallow you, they punch you countless of times, and when two are pitted against each other, they’re just standing still, despite the punching noise is playing around them. They don’t even look like they’re punching each other, and they don’t sound like they’re taking damage at all. So, why is that? Why are they punching each other and not hitting them when they’re standing at close range towards each other where they should be getting hit!

   I LOVE multiplayer mode for Perfect Dark, and I don't intend on stop playing, even if the system is almost 20 years old.

>’-’<

No comments:

Post a Comment