Saturday, May 5, 2012

Streets of Rage 64? No, no... and No

So, my boyfriend and I decided to go to Disc Replay the other day and I see this game in the N64 rack that caught my attention. An old beat-em' up game called Fighting Force 64. I personally enjoyed this game back as a kid because all you have to do is just fight your way to the end. No puzzles, no interactive cut scenes, just pure fighting. Of course, this game wasn't perfect, it has its flaws, but nonetheless, it's a nice game to just play for a few hours.

The game has you playing as one of four characters, Alana, Mace, Hawk, and Smasher. Each kind of have different abilities, but it's hardly noticeable. Like how the girls are supposed to be weak and the guys are supposed to be strong. Each also has a special to perform, but why it drains some of your health is beyond me. I HATED that. It makes no sense.

The enemies could be a bit cheap depending on if they have a weapon in their hand or not. Those that has a gun will hardly miss, really. One shot and it sends you to the ground. Man, these guys can take a bullet to the chest. Heck, even a missile. Yeah, towards the end of the game, you get to avoid missiles that randomly attacks you while on an elevator that takes you to an impossible height. The enemies also have random names like Hotdog, Agent X, Poison... Yeap.

When fighting against the bosses, there's really not a specific strategy to follow, just try to knock them down by any means necessary. One boss has you throwing things at him the entire fight, and while it's a change for once, it's not like it's completely interesting to do. The reason why I disliked this fight is because when you're playing as a character that's not as strong as Smasher, they pick up heavy items really slowly, and this basically gives the boss a perfect opportunity to knock me flat on my butt with his electrical projectile. The characters takes their sweet, sweet time to get up, and by the time I'm back at the thrown item, the guy is floating around in the air where I can't touch him.

It's frustrating that this game can be really slow at times. If you're not holding down the run button, it just seems like it's taking forever to get to the next section in the game.

Mind you the title of this blog. This game was originally supposed to be Streets of Rage, but they changed it completely. You remember that Sega game right? Especially where the third one had that Japanese-only flamboyant boss? Yeap. I don't remember the entire thing on why it was changed, I just remember a tiny bit of it.

Like I stated, this game has its frustrating moments, but if you want to kill time, I wouldn't mind recommending this game to you. It's really fun to play, but not with a partner... Because if they want to be really douchey, all they can do is just beat you down and, HEY you're dead!

Yeah, you and your partner can beat each other up and do damage, there is no friendly fire in this game.

>'-'<

No comments:

Post a Comment