Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tomb Raider sucks after Angel of Darkness... Just Sayin'


So, I’m not that huge of a Tomb Raider fan, mainly because I can never beat any one of the games, but I do love the concept that the games bring you. It’s meant to be challenging, otherwise, it would just be a simple game you can beat within two hours or so. The entire time I am playing this, I realize that I can never figure out where I am supposed to go, what I am supposed to look for, and what items I need to be searching for. I play the game with cheats, and even with those I still cannot figure out what the hell I need to do!

That was it, until I heard that they were going to take Tomb Raider to a different level. You see, this time they want to make Lara interactive with more people than just some random people you see in cutscenes. Therefore, they made her talk more... And this feature wasn’t that great. They recycled animations for the scenes, I mean really, how many times does Lara need to raise her hand and twitch her fingers? And they give you a choice on what to say.

So, you’re Lara, of course, and you’re taking to this woman, Carvier, who was an old friend of Von Croy, who’s dead and you’re being blamed for his death. You have a series of sentences that pops up for you to choose from in order to get the good result such as Carvier gives you this specific notebook that Von Croy left for you. Otherwise, if you don’t really please her with what you say to her, she leaves and calls the police, giving you like two minutes before they arrive to find the notebook, which is hidden in some drawer.

Depending on what you choose can leave you with either a good thing happening or a bad ending. Very rarely will you come up to a point where what you say will get you killed. I think that happens only once in the game.

The game also featured a new character to play as, Kurtis! Ahh, our beloved Kurtis Trent. A guy who has incredible eyesight and telekinetic powers. Unfortunately this is the only game we see the guy in, his whereabouts are still a mystery because at the end of this game, it’s believed that he survived his brutal attack from Boaz after you killed her.

The story was interesting and I LOVED the soundtrack to this game. Sadly, this was the last game before the series was handed off to a different developer.

And now the shitstorm rolls in. So the new company decides to remake the first game, giving Lara a bit more of a humanistic look while Natla looks more of an alien than a human she’s trying to portray. Sure, the game featured new things such as those reaction sequences, but other than that, there’s really nothing special that this game has to offer.

Tomb Raider Legend came along and well... I honestly couldn’t stand one minute of it. I feel that Lara felt too loose when you move her, and WHY did they feel the need to cast  Kathy Soucie, the woman behind Phil and Lil DeVille in Rugrats? Although I never realized that she did the voices for the Undead females in World of Warcraft... Now I know why I only stick with the Blood Elves... I HATE this voice actress because she hardly changes her voice in anything that I see her name in the credits. And her character couldn’t be the most readable character ever!

Oh, she was once Lara’s friend who wanted to see what this thing did, unfortunately it led to what people thought was her demise, although she wasn’t really dead, she managed to obtain the evil power that she accidentally released while her friend Lara made it out of wherever they were safely and cause her friend to really, really hate her.

Very, readable.... Ugh, and it was bad enough that they decide to give her a second shot by coming back in Underworld and guess who joins us too? Nata, with a newly refined look to her as well! Hey she looks human this time!!! Ugh, I’m glad I skipped this game. I can’t believe that this game headed in the direction that it did. Even though I was never really good at the game, it still is one of the best series out there because boy did it make a lot of little boys happy and made grown men cry. Even though it was all thanks to a programming error that caused her bazongas to be what they are, still, this game made history even also because it was a game that featured a woman in the main role.

Although, Samus Aran was the first to do so, although, no one really thought she was a woman until you’ve completed the game.

And now, this series is getting ANOTHER redo made by Square Enix, the same people who created Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, and it actually looks really awesome! I mean, we’re going to find out how Lara became a tomb raider and the game is back to being very dark and hopefully bloody like it was before the series entered the hands of the evil people that made Anniversary, Legend and Underworld. Maybe this will be the second chance Tomb Raider gets.

Otherwise, I’m saying good-bye to the series for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment