Thursday, January 19, 2012

Mortal Kombat!! Dun dun dun....

I kinda figured that if people want to know who I am, they can just read the introduction post, as I kinda want to just go into the reviews already. Enough waiting, let's get started!

Mortal Kombat is today's game up to be reviewed because it was the first game I ever played, so I wanted to review the games first. Mortal Kombat literally stunned people with the amount of gore and violence it brought into the gaming world, the game created controversy for the video game industry!!! (As if Night Trap and Custard's Revenge didn't do so already.) This game, along with a few others, helped established the ESRB rating system, and now games forever must undergo a reviewing session and see what label it'll get smacked with.

What is it about Mortal Kombat that makes it a success? Its a fun game nonetheless, I encourage anyone who enjoys fighting games to pick this up. When my brother first started playing it, I couldn't help but watch him. He thought his little sister should pick up on the game as well, and what better way to teach them while they're young? My mother was pleased to know that her children can rip out spinal cords and uppercut heads off the shoulders.

Since then, MK made two more games that the two of us got into for the Genesis, 2 and 3... and Ultimate MK3. Of course, I'm still a kid at this age, I just played any game that stopped me from growing bored. I laughed every time I managed to play the Supreme Demonstration just to see everyone's fatalities, brutalities, animalities and friendships. Even though I disliked most of those alities that entered the series, still, they were too fun to watch.

I greatly appreciated the fact that Jax can grow into a giant by magical, super powers. No matter how much that didn't make sense to those who are hardcore MK fans, you cannot say that fatality made you laugh.

But, as I continued to age, something strange begins to happen with me... I'm starting to actually dislike games. Not Mortal Kombat in particular, I mean, I'm developing a sense of criticism amongst video games. What is going on with me? Never did I thought that I would dislike video games!

But come on, Kitty, you cannot tell the audience here that you're praising the crap out of a fighting game and tell them that Mortal Kombat doesn't have a bad game. Surely there is one right?

Oh, indeed there are a few bad games. Special Forces and Mythologies were declared as terrible games, but they do hold a special place in the series... even though, some tend to think that Special Forces never existed... As do I. Mythologies, I really liked the game, but it was just SO damn challenging, I can never get past the Wind level because I die when I get up to the rotating platforms that are barely an inch long. And I certainly cannot play this game without cheating. It's impossible for me because it's too hard.

MK4 was something new. You know, there were a lot of new characters that were being introduced, and not too many characters came back. I never really thought that I would find a liking towards Quan Chi and Tanya. Quan Chi scared me too much and Tanya was just plain annoying with her 'Yaw my cigarette" saying every time she did Cammy's Cannon Drill move.

Then after a few years passed we get Deadly Alliance, the game that brought me a new character to like, which was Frost. I don't know why I liked her, I just did. The game also made me appreciate it more by killing off Liu Kang. Finally!!! And, it was the only game that made Sub-Zero look totally freaking awesome.

I'm probably the only person you'll know that will admit that they like Quan Chi's neck stretch without any bit of sarcasm in that sentence.

Another game, well, two more games, that I greatly disliked, were Deception and Armageddon. Mainly due to just what was brought into the story and what the characters were like. I'm sorry, but I have no respect for whoever thought it was necessary to make Sub-Zero go bald and make him look like Shredder from Ninja Turtles. Konquest in Deception was also just boring. So, I'm playing as a character who's taking one move per character and apparently is the main hero since Liu Kang is dead. Oh, did I forget to mention that thanks to him, he causes Earthrealm to be in danger because of his naive little self, he was fooled and released Onaga, the Dragon King... Raiden eventually kills him in his ending.

The mini-games are decent, although I stuck with just one because Chess bored me. The Puzzle mode is too much fun. I either played as Sindel or Sub-Zero. Sindel had the best special by far because she can arrange all the colors together, and if you had a lot of tiles on the board, all you need is that dragon symbol and hello victory!

So there was something decent about that game, but not by much.

And then we get Armageddon, where every character comes back and fights for their right to become the ultimate s.o.b. But, there's one problem... not even half of the cast of the game got bios written for them, majority of the characters that we haven't seen in years didn't make an impressive comeback, and fucking Stryker looks horrible. HORRIBLE!!!

Konquest mode was decent, I'll give it to them, but everything else, even the mini-game just sucked! The mini-game was a racing game that only a few characters were able to be chosen, of course I stay with my main, Sub-Zero. But there were like, only four arenas and it wasn't even a decent racing game. It just felt like you couldn't go anywhere and the speed boasts hardly did anything. And I just didn't appreciate the fact that every person's ending made them some freaking god or whatever. That they were so powerful, so indestructible, that nothing could destroy them whatsoever.

Although Li Mei got a nice death sequence at the beginning of the introduction to the game by a favorite of mine.

So, two games in a row that made you dislike it, what happened?

Well, MKvsDC came out. Now, understand this... Not too many of the series' fans appreciated that there was this crossover game, mainly due to the fact that it was getting a "Teen" rating so that means we cannot kill Batman no matter how hard we try. I though, was not happy that they censored Joker's fatality. The game wasn't that bad, although I will admit, a crossover was not something I wanted to see after two games that greatly disappointed me.

And now we come to MK2011, by far one of the greater games Boon and his friends made. Oh, this time, they made things the way I like it! I don't see anything wrong with the game. I don't think it feels like an incomplete game, I don't think the storyline sucked, I don't think it's a big deal that certain characters have this costume while others don't. I really thought they did an awesome job with the game, I truly recommend anyone this game.

What made me love the series is just how different it feels from the other fighting games that are out there. It has a storyline that's easy to follow, I mean Metal Gear Solid isn't that hard, but there are some random stuff in there that gets my mind boggled at times. The characters are different from each other, even if they were the same for a few years... And, it's just a game that I can really get into. Who cares that the girls wear skimpy outfits with big boobs, who cares if you realized that the only ninja in this game is really Scorpion while all the others aren't, who cares if they decided to go back in time with the latest game and changed a few things to where Sub-Zero is now a cyborg. I honestly love the game in where it headed. Hopefully, one day, I can get a job offer accepted at Netherrealm Studios and work for them.

If not, Warner Brothers isn't a bad company either.

Yeah, I'm a video game freak, at least I'm a girl, loves football, and still believes the Cubs will get a World Series title by the time I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment