Sunday, March 2, 2014

Beyond: Two Souls

I got this game for Christmas and not too long ago I began playing it. I have this issue where I cannot start a new game unless I beat a game I'm currently playing. Well, that is if I haven't spoiled myself of its ending, which sadly I did for this game.

I don't know why the lack of interest is hurt my chances of actually beating this game. I did not like The Last of Us that much and to be honest, I haven't beaten it because I'm not liking what I'm seeing. And sadly, that's the same thing in this case with Beyond: Two Souls. I was really looking forward to this game when it wasn't released because I LOVE Williem Dafoe, and I love Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain. I thought that I was going to be into this game. But sadly, I had to force myself to continue playing this game.

Now, I'm going to admit here, my boyfriend did kinda spoiled something for me, but it wasn't that crucial to the story. But since he kept mocking me that he knew who Aiden was, I had to look. I needed to know if I was right, and in a way, I was.

And if you don't want to be spoiled, I command you to just stop reading right here.

So, I decided to look up more about this game because everything was getting way too out of control. The story felt liked the latest Superman movie. The flash backs in that movie were so out of whack and it didn't make sense. While here, the story isn't just going forward, it goes back and forth every so often. Sometimes you play as adult Jodie, other times you play as her younger self. But I was getting so aggravated with that because I just wanted to progress. I don't like stories that has you going back in life and see stuff more than once. Flashbacks are fine, but when there are a ton of them, it just loses focus of the main issue.

You want to know who Aiden is, why he's there. Aiden is her twin brother who died during childbirth when the cord was wrapped around his throat. He's been with Jodie all of her life. He's one protective brother, I'll tell you that.

There, that's all you need to know about Aiden.

Now, here's the other thing that bothered me with this game. This is the same developer as Heavy Rain. I was expecting to see more quick time events like Heavy Rain had. But what happened? It gets shortened. You control more of the character walking around rather than their actions. When you control their actions in Heavy Rain, it's like six buttons and random movements with the joystick that you have to do in order to get the character to do something. During the times where you have like that dramatic music playing in the background and you need to do something quickly otherwise something bad would happen, you'd be in a panic and trying to do it so crazy. I actually like that feeling in the game because I didn't want any of the characters to die, and I didn't want to lose anything. But with Beyond: Two Souls, if you fail, there's hardly any consequences. I mean, I kept getting hurt during some of the fighting scenes, but it's not like I'm getting killed. What the hell? I could just ignore the quicktimes and just let her get hit. That's boring.

I don't know if I really want to beat this game, despite that I spoiled the ending for myself. I mean, it's one of those games that the ending you get makes a difference by what you've done in the game. I don't know what kind of ending I'll get with what I've made Aiden do. But then again, I'd like to see what ending I want. To motivate myself before Tuesday to play it before I get South Park: The Stick of Truth is going to be kind of tough. I really have no motivation to play the game more.

>'-'<

No comments:

Post a Comment