Friday, January 11, 2013

Perfect Shooter, Undefeated Streak

I have played plenty of first-person shooters in my gaming life, however, there's one game in particular that will never, ever be replaced as the best (in my books that is.) A game that literally defied shooters. A game that literally took something and made it ten times, no, a hundred times, no, infinite time better than what Goldeneye 007 did for the N64 (and believe me, that game was a saint in shooters before this game came along). I am talking about Perfect Dark.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is the game that is literally THE best first-person shooter game, in my opinion, that is out there. Sure, you can argue that Call of Duty and Halo are better, but you know what? Those games wouldn't even have a chance if it wasn't for Perfect Dark. Yes, Goldeneye came first, and many people thought that the game brought an ounce of awesomeness to the multiplayer, but Perfect Dark made it to where you can play muliplayer without the use of other people around. I mean, of course it's always nice to play with your friend and family members, but what happens if your friends aren't into video games like mine were? I mean whenever I had a group of my friends come around, I could never get them to play any kind of video game that involved violence. They mainly wanted to play Mario Party, and to be honest, the first one really sucked and I owned that one. Perfect Dark made it to where you can fight computer AIs, as much as eight, and just roam around the arenas shooting at a variety of different skilled bots. I mean you can make them really stupid and slow to very fast and intelligent. And that was a brilliantly new feature to have in a video game back in the 90s.

You had not only a new style of playing multiplayer, but you doubled the characters, doubled the arenas, doubled the guns, doubled a whole lot of things from Goldeneye, and Rare was the developer. It's not like Goldeneye didn't do anything in the first-person shooter genre, the game is an all-time classic and is up there with Perfect Dark. The game was one of THE best shooters to own in the N64. Pretty much everyone can tell you their reasoning on why they hated the Klobb, and they'll all say the same thing. An annoyingly loud shooting gun that forced you to waste an entire clip to actually do SOME damage, not to where you can actually kill a person. They will tell you why they feel the need to camp to Golden Gun. This is why multiplayer was awesome, and how everyone will tell you that Facility and Temple are the greatest levels... well, at least I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I do.

But there's got to be something that I dislike in these games, I mean I'm praising the hell out of them, there's got to be something that I have to dislike about both of them. Well, there is a few things that I have an irk about. With Goldeneye, Trevelyan just runs around in the Cradle mission hardly doing anything against you. You have an infinite amount of guards barging in front of you that's actually doing the damage. And if that's not annoying, when Trevelyan FINALLY allows you to fight him in the final fight, you have to CAREFULLY jump down (unless you want to climb down on the ladder) on this tiny little platform underneath you and shoot him. If he gets you, you're dead. There's hardly any room for you to move around and it sucks if you miss the platform totally. The boss fight was a totally disappointing fight. But hey, despite that Sean Bean is one of my favorite actors, he really played a shitty character. I mean the entire time during Goldeneye, the movie that is, all he did was more talky talky and less pew pew. Even when he had the perfect opportunity to shoot and kill Bond right before he plummets down the same area that I was talking about earlier, he just stood there, aimed the gun at him, and yapped his mouth like it was nothing. Of course, bad guys have to have the last laugh.

Ugh, such a disappointing character, and mind you that he was the only other double agent in the series that Bond worked with.

In Perfect Dark... let's see, there's got to be something in this game that I don't like. I guess, again, the last boss fight. I didn't care for it as much as I should have. You have to fave this giant Skedar King that's shooting rocket launchers at you, and time to time, he spawns mini Skedar creatures that, not only annoys the living crap out of me, but sometimes they just get you without you even knowing that they're there. I just didn't like the fight because when I first encounter him, I had no clue what I had to do. The shield freaking annoys me throughout the entire game. Sure that I don't mind it when I am using it, however, when I'm fighting against those that have the shield, ugh, annoyance. There's only one mission where the guards are using the shields and that's when the Carrington Institute is being ambushed. The guards are in shields, for some ungodly reason, and I can never beat this mission on the harder difficulties because of course they have double the damage power, but just trying to penetrate a bullet into their chests is ridiculous!

I'm a sucker for the K7 Avenger and double Falcon 2s. Not to mention the Proximity mines in the Villa area, undefeated. I'm freaking undefeated in this game, not one person has ever beaten me. The Villa against bots and putting the proximity mines in certain places that I know they'll go, I just see my score being at least thirty points ahead than the second place character. I mean that's just slaughter, you know? Sure, I get killed every so often, but hey, I'm not expecting myself to actually be untouched... that's just not human.

I also enjoy the story that Perfect Dark had. Aliens and technology, if those aren't perfect science-fiction materials to use... ugh. I'm a fan of science-fiction, no doubt. You can play the story missions in three different ways, which is something that I don't think I have experienced in any other video game yet. You can play story mode regularly where you just control Joanna Dark, your main character. You can play co-operative mode where you can have your friend, or a computer AI, be your partner. And what's even cooler, is that if you managed to beat a certain mission within a specific time, you can unlock other characters to be your partner, so you don't always end up with Velvet Dark, Joanna's supposed sister. You have Puglist, Hit and Run, Hotshot, and Alien as your other choices. Of course, they're totally not easy to unlock. I've owned this game throughout majority of my life and I still haven't come across unlocking these guys... I'm not sure why that is though... Anyways, the last mode is counter-op, if you have two players playing, one of you can be Joanna Dark and the other one could be an enemy. The person controlling the enemy can get killed as many time as they can, but if Joanna gets killed, that's it, the game is over and the guard player wins the game. If Joanna completes her objectives, she wins and obviously the guard loses. Oh, and um, when you're playing the levels with the Skedar featured in them, whoever is controlling the guard gets to be a Mr. Blonde code. For some reason, there couldn't be any kind of way for you to control a Skedar alien... despite that Turok has the ability to make you play as a raptor and a group of bugs...

I also discovered on Youtube from those who have pulled off the soundtrack from the game, a few hidden songs. There's a rare Deep Sea: Nullify Threat soundtrack that those who have some emulator, they can somewhat find the song despite that it's really hard to get played... At least that's what I read. Another was a BETA death sound... After hearing that and the one that's the actual soundtrack, I like the actual soundtrack...

I am rambling on and on and on, however, I have to really find some way to end it... Um... I dunno.

>'-'<

No comments:

Post a Comment