Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Angry Backpack Birds And Bears In Pants

I own Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie... both games received exceptional reviews. I am, or was, in the middle of trying to beat the first game because I could never do so back in the past. But after actually really playing the game unlike I use to back in the past, I must say... It's really flipping tough.

Back in the day, I used to play video games and didn't care if I beat them or not. I just like playing them because it was fun. Now that I'm older, and realize that you HAVE to beat the game, some of it really isn't that fun. I was at Bubblegloop Swamp when I last played the game, and I never really understood why some of these jiggies that you have to collect can be so challenging. I'm not sure why it's taking me such a hard time obtaining this one jiggy where you have a ten second time limit to get the piece, while you have to slowly inch yourself across this very narrow platform. It's ridiculous, and for some reason, I just cannot do it.

I know what comes at the end of the game, a quiz game and then the final boss fight. But I doubt I'll ever reach that knowing that I somewhat suck at this game. If the swamp level is giving me such a rough time, I cannot imagine how Rusty Bucket Bay is going to be like, and that is everyone's worse level too, or so it seems.

The one thing that used to always annoy anyone that's in the same room when I'm playing this game is when the characters talk. Yes, it's incredibly annoying after you played this game for a while when these guys talk. For those who have never really played the game but know of the Nintendo 64, some games didn't have your characters talk, some did. This game had it where your characters weren't talking, but made sounds. They make a random sound when they're talking, and believe me, it gets extremely repetitive when you've played this game for a while.

There's interesting secrets that this game carried, however, some of them did get scrapped when it came to the sequel, such as the Stop'n'Swop. It was supposed to be where you could transfer data over to the next game, but it got scratched due to technical difficulties. But it's really funny how it's still in the game, and that Rare literally made it be known to those who completed the game and collected these eggs, (yes, they're eggs) that a sequel was in the working. These secret eggs really had no important purpose in the game, unless you're going for the 100% items collected run, then yeah, it serves a purpose. But because this concept got scratched, there's really nothing too wild about it.

What's also really funny about this game is that the sidekick, Kazooie, holds more of a significance over Banjo. Banjo is a very, very, VERY slow character, hardly has any good moves in his disposal, and also, he can't really get around that well. Walk up a steep slope, he slides right back down. When you're using Kazooie, she can not only get you up those steep slopes, but she can fly, she can make you jump farther and higher, have some arsenal to use against her enemies... overall, she's the better one to play. Also, she insults pretty much everyone that she comes across from, I always thought that was hilarious.

I'm not going to touch Banjo-Tooie until I really beat the first game. The thing is though, is that I played it for a little bit, just to see what it's like... Holy crap is it different. Here comes another game series with the games being different from the previous... I was confused what I was playing, and how there's more of an improvement and such, really, it's different... and I'm not sure how I'll react towards that. I also heard that there's a level that consists of lava... Okay.

Despite that I never owned an Xbox and probably never will, I saw a little bit about what Nuts & Bolts was like... Eh... no. Just no...

Rare always made great games back in the day, and this was one of them. Banjo-Kazooie, there's no other game like it. Really, there isn't. When was the last time you played a game where a bird, who swallows golden puzzle pieces, had more of an advantage over a bear that's trying to save his little sister while solving riddles and rhymes? I don't think you really have.

There's just one thing that I have to mention. Kazooie gobbles up all the jiggys that you collect in this game. One of the jiggys that you receive at the very end of the game when you're in Tick Clock Wood, gets farted out of a bird... Mind you, I said that Kazooie gobbles up all of the jiggys that you collect in this game... Mind you that I said that Kazooie gobbles up all of the jiggys that you collect in this game... Okay? Yeah... Disgusting.

Get the game when you can. However, it might be pricey wherever you go. I've seen the game be locked away in cases because it is one of THOSE games.

>'-'<

No comments:

Post a Comment