Monday, July 16, 2012

Final Fantasy 7 Needs To Retire

Every now and then, there's some big video game list that comes in talking about either who's the greatest villain in video game history, or the most terrifying moment in video game history... Anything that has to do with the most, the greatest, or anything in that kind of nature, expect to see Final Fantasy 7 making the list.

Now, there's probably going to be some haters for this blog, but understand where I'm coming from. I am not a Final Fantasy fan. I played it once, Final Fantasy 10-2 was my first game and I fucking hated it. All it is are three girls gasping, smiling, and acting very innocent. A complicated story line to understand even while going back and re-reading what 10 was all about. The fighting system seemed so unbearable to comprehend, I literally just used a Gameshark-like cheat throughout the entire game and I still couldn't figure out what the heck to do. I mean, I'm using Paine's secret special, only-her fighting costume and I'm blasting enemies with a one-shot... That's still not telling me what I have to do.

I watch my boyfriend play Final Fantasy 7 that I bought him for his birthday a year ago, and even just watching him playing that, I'm lost out of my fucking mind trying to understand the main plot of the game. Even while he's explaining everything to me, I found myself drifting away into a state of lost-ness due to the amount of stuff that I'm just receiving. Ridiculous!

To get back what I'm trying to say, majority of these lists are always having the main bad guy, Sephiroth, be the number one top bad ass of all time. So he kills Aerith out of nowhere after everything she's done for you and blah-blah-blah... Why does this scene need to be THE scene in video game history for more than a decade? I understand how it made people so freaked out after everything you did up to that moment, but this game cannot always be the best with villains and moments anymore. There's a ton of games out there with great moments that we never expected... Heck, even Portal's unexpected ending is starting to annoy me too...

I guess it's just that I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan to understand the full potential of that scene... But I really don't see how this game is great when Egoraptor's Final Fantasy 7 spoof literally told me that the game is about two whiny guys complaining about life, here's Tifa trying to get Cloud to notice her but he's in love with Aerith in a way.... Some... love triangle? Then some army he was apart of that Sephiroth is like a captain to... I just... I just have no idea at all...

Then there's 13...

>'-'<



No comments:

Post a Comment