Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"My name is BERTHA. Ready to play "



    I’m a big Resident Evil fan, I enjoy the games... But... I’m kind of shocked at how the latest new game turned out to be. This game seemed really awesome, that finally, you get to play as Umbrella not as a hero... I’m a bit disappointed. I’m not going to say that this game sucks or whatever, because it doesn’t, I was just disappointed in a few aspects of the game that I really thought would have been cool.

    Let’s start out with how many players can play. Whelp, it’s a single-player game, although up to eight people can join you through the Playstation Network system. What? I was really hoping that I could spend some time wasted with my boyfriend shooting zombie heads and killing the heroes just like that! Unfortunately, this game is a single-player game, despite that you can have three computer bots joining your side... This couldn’t be two-players because...?

    The characters are interesting. I chose to play as BERTHA, the medic. Why I always pick the medic in games is beyond me. Anyways, the others are FOUR-EYES, LUPO, VECTOR, SPECTRE, and BELTWAY. They all have something unique about them. All work for Umbrella, all have cool voice effects that makes them sound like a cyborg.

    RE:ORC’s story is also a unique one. You’re Umbrella, trying to get a sample of the T-Virus, of course, you battle the classic William Birkin and his first phase form after you’ve approached him. Then you’re off fighting against Specs, the opposing side that’s trying to help the survivors. You get abandoned after a few failed attempts in eliminating survivors, you get re-attached to Umbrella and you are to finally kill Leon Kennedy and Claire, who also has Sherry by their side.

    Depending on your choice in the last mission of the game, you can either kill Leon or save Leon. Whatever your choice is, you have one partner out of the four on your side while the other two are against you. If you’re saving Leon, you have the ability to win the game very, very easily, since you have a boss on your team. All you have to do is literally wipe out the two former teammates, while avoiding zombies, and you’ve won the game with the ending showing how and why you two are surviving. It’s because Umbrella screwed you over and now you’re screwing them over.

    Although, the same can not be said if you decide to kill Leon. You see, Leon apparently is a god when you’re trying to kill him. He’s got unlimited grenades and ammo. If you try to CQC him, he’ll counter back and probably, if he’s quick enough, stab  you in the neck with his own CQC. He also apparently can take ten grenade launcher shots to the torso and still lives. This guy is nearly impossible to take down. I’m still in the process of doing so and I’m getting more frustrated as time is going by.

    When you finally defeat him, he’s dead. Claire, who I do not like in this series, also dies too. Sherry is obviously taken into Umbrella’s hands since that is your primary objective after she comes into the story. If you’re not a Resident Evil fan, research why this child is a very important character throughout this story as well as the original RE2.

    The game... it’s frustrating. For some reason Spec soldiers can take a barrage of bullets to the face and still fight back against you. That annoys me. The logic that has behind it is ridiculous because, if I was shot in the face, twenty times by an automatic, I’d probably be dead, don’t you think? The zombies aren’t that big of an issue here, the crimson heads are a little bit of an annoyance because they’re faster and they’re more likely to infect you rather than an ordinary zombie, but, they’re honestly not as annoying as Specs getting shot in the face more than I can shoot.

    Some of the bosses can be a bit frustrating too. If you get hit, you take a while to recover. Such as, if you get knocked down to the ground, your character decides that this is the perfect opportunity to take our precious time to move away. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been ambushed by a group of zombies or William Birkin slamming me with his pipe. And some of the ambush side quests are also annoying. So, we’re in a room and need to find this card to escape from the building, but apparently, we’re being ambushed by Lickers. Okay, if I just stay here with my team and we eliminate them all, we can just get the card and move on, right? NO! As soon as you get that card, the room explodes, and now you have to get out of there before the building collapses while MORE Lickers comes after you. And, if you don’t reach the checkpoint, you’re stuck battling probably an infinite amount of Lickers, who somewhat can kill off your entire team if you’re not careful where they’re at.

    Oh, and let me talk about the AI teammates in this game. They can either be extremely smart or extremely stupid and it happens at random times of the game. So, I’m BERTHA and I have LUPO, VECTOR, and SPECTRE on my side and whelp, we’re in a room with laser traps around me. I’ve been given a message that tells me to shoot where the laser is coming from to disarm the trap. Well, I guess my leader LUPO doesn’t understand that if you walk backwards without realizing what’s behind you, you’re going to get blasted by the trap. Oh, but we just came from a long gun fight battle against a horde of Specs in the previous room, and I don’t have a first aid spray to heal her. So, what happened to LUPO? Oh, she’s dead, and I don’t quite feel like resurrecting a dumb bot.

    Apparently, your teammates cannot be permanently dead if you let them be there and move on with the mission. As soon as you reach a checkpoint, your teammates will all be with you, and apparently, all will have full health again. Although, if they changed into a zombie, you cannot resurrect them...

    Overall, this game is good, but it’s completely frustrating. I wouldn’t say it’s one of the best RE games, but it’s not a huge disappointment either.

>’-’< Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment